As I pointed out yesterday, I have put completing the second Wyvern sock on hold because I'm trying to make a pair of Marnie MacLean's "Hooray For Me" gloves (see previous post for link to Marnie's site). Here is the first Wyvern. Done.
I have to admit, I'm quite pleased with myself. I do have a couple of small holes on either side of my ankle but I'll just stitch them closed. Even though, as I said, I'm quite pleased, I feel obligated to say, that it wasn't until I was about 3/4 of the way through this sock that I was surfing online and began reading about right-handed and left-handed decreases. This uneasy feeling set in because Wyvern has lots of increases and decreases and I wasn't really paying attention to the pattern. I mean, I just saw a bunch of triangles, I didn't notice that they were in different directions so as to indicate either SSK or K2tog (shit).
No, I did not rip it out and start over. I figure it's just a variation on the pattern. And check out this rationalization: Since I did the first sock with all SSK, I'll do the second sock with all K2tog. Then I'll have a left sock and a right sock. Wanna know a little secret? I still don't know which is right-leaning and which decrease is left-leaning.
Alrighty then. About the "Hooray For Me" gloves.... The pattern calls for 58 stitches with some fancy sock yarn I have never heard of (I live in a small town with only a couple of yarn stores and I haven't been knitting long) and of course I didn't do a guage swatch. Guess what happens next. The cuff is too big. So, I decrease 8 st and continue on to finish the little glove (which is really cute if I do say so myself). Anyways, el punto es (the point is), I made a deal with Janice (owner of MLYS), where she gets to keep the too big glove as a sample of the sock yarn, and I get another skein of yarn to finish a pair of the gloves. The yarn is Moda Dea Sassy Stripes in case you care. I knitted the too big glove in classes yesterday and got lots of compliments on the gloves. Thanks Marnie!